Ryan Vickers claimed his first Bennetts British Superbike Championship race win at Brands Hatch this afternoon in the BikeSocial Sprint race as the LAMI OMG Racing Yamaha rider held off Danny Kent before a red flag for track contamination. The race was not restarted and half points were awarded as two-thirds race distance had not been completed.
At the start, championship leader Tommy Bridewell launched into the lead, but Vickers was determined and as the BeerMonster Ducati rider had a big moment, he took advantage and made his move at Stirlings.
Kent was in close contention too and as the leading trio crossed the line for the start of lap three, he was able to get better drive out of Clearways to take second and ease Bridewell back into third place.
Vickers and Kent were controlling the race at the front, with a slight edge over their rivals as the pair, both fighting for their first Bennetts BSB race win, made a break from the chasing pack.
Vickers had a few moments, but he was able to keep Kent at bay, but behind Christian Iddon had moved his way into third and he was bidding to close down the pair. However, the race was red flagged for track contamination, and was not restarted due to track conditions.
That meant Vickers became the sixth different race winner in 2023 Bennetts BSB with Kent and Iddon sealing podiums for the first time this season, making it nine different riders to score top three finishes so far this year and the first in the series for the Lovell Kent Racing Honda team.
Jack Kennedy and the Mar-Train Racing Yamaha team also took advantage of the conditions, with the reigning Quattro Group British Supersport champion celebrating his best result in Bennetts BSB with a fourth place, edging just ahead of Jason O’Halloran and McAMS Yamaha.
Leon Haslam was sixth for the ROKiT BMW Motorrad Team, meanwhile Bridewell dropped to seventh, but still maintains his championship lead with 26.5 points now separating him from his BeerMonster Ducati teammate Glenn Irwin who finished in tenth place.
Storm Stacey was eighth after a hard-fought performance for Starline Racing Kawasaki ahead of Peter Hickman who led the FHO Racing BMW Motorrad Team effort.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, BikeSocial Sprint Race result:
- Ryan Vickers (LAMI OMG Racing Yamaha)
- Danny Kent (Lovell Kent Racing Honda) +0.152s
- Christian Iddon (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) +2.173s
- Jack Kennedy (Mar-Train Racing Yamaha) +3.431s
- Jason O’Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +4.566s
- Leon Haslam (ROKiT BMW Motorrad Team) +4.941s
- Tommy Bridewell (BeerMonster Ducati) +5.817s
- Storm Stacey (Starline Racing Kawasaki) +17.412s
- Peter Hickman (FHO Racing BMW Motorrad) +17.501s
- Glenn Irwin (BeerMonster Ducati) +17.814s
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings:
- Tommy Bridewell (BeerMonster Ducati) 221.5
- Glenn Irwin (BeerMonster Ducati) 195
- Kyle Ryde (LAMI OMG Racing Yamaha) 171.5
- Josh Brookes (FHO Racing BMW Motorrad Team) 169.5
- Leon Haslam (ROKiT BMW Motorrad) 169
- Jason O’Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) 138.5
- Lee Jackson (Cheshire Mouldings Kawasaki) 125
- Christian Iddon (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) 115
- Ryan Vickers (LAMI OMG Racing Yamaha) 113
- Jack Kennedy (Mar-Train Racing Yamaha) 85